So now, a little about me...
I started my writing career working as an intern at imperfect magazine. I write weekly posts focused around positive body image and confidence for young women (look for my article about conquering the friend-zone this Friday...I've been on vacation the past couple weeks!). As someone who studies feminist theory, it has been an amazing opportunity for me to explore practical applications of my academic work in women my own age, and has challenged me to practice what I preach. Life, Love, + Coffee Stains has been a super fun counterpart to that writing. With LL+CS I am writing about me. My life, my hobbies, my advice. So I guess I should probably get to that "me" part a little more.
I had absolutely no clue how to format this, so I decided just to list out some fun facts to correspond with the photos below.
1. The hardest question you can ask me is "Where are you from?". I was born in New Jersey, lived in Ohio for three years and Oklahoma for seven, and I have been in North Carolina for seven. So I don't know...where do you think? Basically what all of this means, is as much as my native Jersey girl mother wants me to be a Northerner, my heart belongs south of the Mason Dixon line. And like any good Southern girl, I have a monogram obsession. Hats, decals, bags...it's a problem. EJ actually once concernedly asked if I was going to monogram my own body. He's super funny.
2. Speaking of EJ - there he is. We met through the rowing team and for the longest time, we were just friends. Not the Ashton Kutcher movie kind, but the horribly friend zoned kind. Then, three years ago, he dumped a beer on my head, kissed me, and we've been dating ever since. Ask Leah for the story. She tells it better.
3. I have a little sister, who has been taller than me for quite some time now (I am quite short, to be fair). She has the most gorgeous hair and goes to school at the beach. Yes, you have permission to hate her a little bit too. That being said, I love her bunches and hope she's reading this (Hi, Al!)
4. As you all know by now, I am obsessed with my cat, Willow. Like I can talk about her for hours and everything she does is the most precious thing ever. You know those moms on Instagram who only post pictures of their infants? Yeah, that's me and Willow.
5. I am currently working on my Master's degree in English, so this means I am a literature nerd. And unlike Leah, I like Faulkner. No shame. My undergrad honors thesis? Faulkner and feminist theory. The Sound and the Fury is my version of HBO...sex scandals, suicide, family tension? It doesn't get better than that. (Also note the latte in this photo. People don't write papers. Lattes write papers.)
6. Someday I want to get married in Wait Chapel. My heart belongs at Wake Forest University (Go Deacs!) and photos like this one easily demonstrate why. I've spent four years here and I thrilled to stay for two more. There is something about sitting on the Quad beneath a magnolia tree that just feels like home.