It all started with a cough. And a headache. And the next thing I knew my face had turned into Niagara Falls and I was sneezing 14 times a minute. It's been a rough week y'all.
Looking for a silver lining though, super cold meant a sick day home, snuggled on my couch with Willow and Peek. And of course, that meant sick day blogging...and well, here we are. Sick day essentials.
- Lots of blankets. The fluffier the better! Like this one from H&M or literally anything from this Etsy shop! (Crocheted chevron? Swoon.)
- Drugs. I don't normally encourage drug use, but in this case, open up your medicine cabinet and go to town. I owe my life to Sudafed right now. Thank you, Sudafed, for letting me do my homework, write blog posts, and breathe. Breathing is nice.
- Netflix or a good book. Unfortunately, grad school doesn't stop for colds, so I was reading Caribbean epic poetry from my couch throne; but if you are a luckier soul, grab a fun new novel, a mindless magazine, or visit your favorite blogs! Or just re-watch an entire episode of Friends. It's your sick day...you do what you want.
- Lots of soup. Cooking when you're sick is the worst, and if you're anything like me, you just end up skipping meals in lieu of whatever cookies are in your apartment. You can either get someone to make you soup (this potato soup recipe is my ultimate go-to sick food), order in from a local restaurant, or rely on good ol' Campbell's. Either way, you shouldn't have to lift a finger...or chew for that matter.
- Speaking of food, stock up on popsicles. Ice cream can be kind of gross if you already have sinus stuff going on (milk and mucus don't mix...sorry for the overshare). This is where popsicles come in. And not the healthy kind. I'm talking old fashioned. cotton candy flavored popsicles. They are pretty much guaranteed to make a sore throat feel better and will at least remind you of your mom, even if she isn't there to take care of you.
- Your oldest, comfiest, most broken in pair of sweatpants. You know which ones I'm talking about...the ones that you stole from your high school boyfriend 8 years ago. Even leggings aren't comfy enough for sick days.
- Lots and lots of water. This year's cold meant a Target trip for a new water bottle. Whether you are rocking a Camelback or this simple one from Thermos (my Target buy!), water is the fast track to a speedy recovery. Bonus: staying hydrated after you get better with help stave off any other germs!
- Other fluids. Unfortunately, coffee isn't actually the best for you when you're sick. It's best to stick with hot teas (Twinnings Earl Grey is my favorite!) or orange juice. Save the coffee for the days when you actually go to work.
- A fluffy friend. Snuggles with Peekerton can always make me feel better! If you have access to one, grab a puppy dog or kitty and curl up for the best nap of your life.
- Sleep. Okay, being sick sucks, but when else is it okay to take a four hour nap in the middle of the day? Between that comfy blanket, a furry friend, and probably the drugs, nap time hits a new level. No guilt and no shame...it's all in the name of getting better!
What else do you have to have when you're sick? Any special recipes or favorite snuggle items? Tweet us @LL+CS! We will be re-tweeting throughout the day!