When you graduate, your life is going to change for the better in so many ways, but sometimes it's not going to feel that way. Some days you're going to come home from work or grad school and hate everything and want to just listen to someone else talk about their day. You're going to get in a fight or argument with your boyfriend, and your new friends just wont quite understand. You're going to need advice on something from someone who has known you for years. No matter what any of these things are, having someone that's grown with you over the last few years will make all the difference.
What's important isn't that you talk to your college friends every day. It's doing what it takes to keep a bond. The effort that needs to go in to a relationship is totally dependent on the two people involved. It might be a simple "I miss you." text message to start a conversation, or emails with weekly updates. No matter what it is, keeping contact should be something you enjoy, and want to continue.
Creative Ways to Keep In Touch
- Snail Mail. Who doesn't love a letter that's not a bill or piece of advertising?? Sending cute cards and life updates "the old fashioned way" can make staying in touch more memorable, and more fun! I personally love Designs by Nicolina and Green Tie Studio for greeting cards and stationary!
- Cold Call. Pick up the phone and give them a ring! Honestly, I had a friend who calls randomly, and I love it. We always end up talking about fun, crazy things and getting caught up on each others lives.
- Quick Text. There's nothing wrong with a quick "Hows everything" text message once in a while when you haven't heard from someone that you care about. It's maybe not as exciting as a phone call, but if your friend can't respond at the moment, they can easily respond later, and the conversation can go on over a few hours!
- Start a Project. As many of you know, part of the reason Chelsea and I started this blog was to stay in touch after graduation. It gives us an excuse to call each other (and spend hours on the phone), and to email back and forth, which encourages sharing of exciting news, changes, and even ridiculous things our pets do.
- Play a Game. I was a pretty big words with friends fan for a while there. I played with a friend from college until they came out with they're new app and I couldn't remember how to get into my account. Playing a game, whether its a phone game or on the computer is a great way to keep in touch (even if it just means confirmation that someone's alive!)
- Plan a Trip. This is another one Chelsea and I are pretty good at. Not only do we enjoy planning vacations, but we also have the WFU rowing team to thank for the an excuse to get together. Meeting for a regatta is a great way to spend the weekend, and it's finally given us the chance to explore places we visited in college but never got past the race course.
Whether it's once a day or once a month, keeping in touch with your friends from college is such an important part of getting settled into your next step in life. It's also a great way to get creative, see new places, and even start a blog! How do you stay in touch with friends from college (and high school)??